Wednesday 28 March 2012

Fun and a run in the sun!



I sat blogging outside again today! Bliss. The sun was shining. The sky was blue. The car registered 23 degrees as the outside temperature today. It can't have been far off that as I sat there. My ideal office environment! It's amazing how much better a little bit of sunshine and some warmth makes you feel.

Mad really, that in March, I was discussing with a friend earlier in the day, the fact that the children needed suntan cream on before they went to school! We were running at the time and in true Brit style having a bit of a moan (well....I was, at least!) that it was too hot for running. We are running in a 10k race at the weekend and hoping that the weather cools down a bit for that!! No pleasing some folk! I expect that our wishes will be granted. My husband has reliably informed me that the temperature will be back to the seasonal average by Sunday. Only 3 days to go. Just enough time to get some last minute pre-race preparation in............ensure legs are smooth (below the knee, at least!)....apply fake tan (below the knee).....paint nails.....new (running) outfit....hair up or down?...that sort of dedicated runner prep!

I'm flashing a photo of my bistro table and bench in my back garden today just to prove that I do practise what I preach. You will notice the H20 bottle that I recommended yesterday along with a pink and green water glasses that were a Christmas present from my Mum. (John Lewis) I was going to put a jug with some flowers on the table but decided that was just a little bit too staged! I'm keeping it real!! The cushions on the bench are from The White Company.  
The bistro table and 2 chairs were a purchase from a couple of years ago and they stay out all year round and are still in tip top condition. They were from the Garden Trading Co. priced at £125. Next Home do a similar version for £99 (cream table and 2 chairs). (www.next.com).
For any spring/summer parties/BBQ's there's nothing like a bit of bunting to pretty up the garden. The bunting pictured is from Dibor, a French country living inspired website,  (http://www.dibor.co.uk/) and is £14.95 for an 8m double sided run. I've put my order through already.

Now, 'Mum talk' in the playground is very much about arranging parties for the Jubilee and any other excuses we can find to party the summer away (!) I'll definitely be investing in this bunting and probably some colourful paper lanterns such as the ones below. I've used paper lanterns hung from tree branches and around the edge of Gazebos in the past. They are a simple yet effective way of partying-up the garden. For a wide range of different colours, shapes and sizes have a look at Party Delights website. (http://www.partydelights.co.uk/). The lanterns below cost £7.95 for a pack of 5.

For the table, I love this glassware from the Honey Bee collection available from various stockists. The Honey Bee Carafe is £24.95 from Dibor and the salad bowl below is £19.60 (30% off) again, from Dibor. The salad bowl makes it onto my summer shopping list. Although, for a more vintage feel, I love the Dibor 23cm 'Princess Rose' salad dish below which comes in grey or pink and has been discounted by 70% making it a bargain at £5.10! May have to sneak that one on too. Lots of healthy salad this summer.......

The children (girls, at least) will love these pink acrylic sundae dishes from Laura Ashley. We have a set of these in our cupboard. They are used on a regular basis. For an adult version J by Jasper Conran has this clear glass sundae dish for £4.80 at Debenhams. 

If you like vintage, then a great website to check out is http://www.theoxfordteaparty.com/ This is an online retailer jam packed with vintage home wares....antique and retro....from tea sets to kitchen items, crockery, clothes, jewellery....you name it, they can supply it. An absolute must if vintage is your thing.

These are just a few finds to whet your appetite for the summer ahead. More to come..... 

No comments:

Post a Comment